Our reservoirs and lakes are open to the public for recreational activities including boat ramps and camp grounds. Toilets are open for campers and day visitors as per the Tourism Industry Guidelines for coronavirus (COVID-19).
Physical distancing and outdoor gathering requirements apply at all times – including at the boat ramp and on your boat. Check the permitted recreational activities and facilities before your visit.
People living in the Melbourne metropolitan area or Mitchell Shire can only go in and out of these areas for three reasons: shopping for food and supplies, medical care and caregiving, and study or work – if you can’t do it from home. You may also travel outside these areas in an emergency, or as required by law
Exercise and recreation will not be a reason to travel into or out of metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire.
For more information on boating, visit: betterboating.vic.gov.au
Taylors Lake is an off-stream reservoir and a reliable water source for the region. Sitting 20 km south-east of Horsham, it's supplied from upstream storage within the Wimmera-Glenelg headworks. The nearby Potters Creek also serves as a small natural catchment.
The lake has an important role in supplying environmental water to the Wimmera River. It's also very popular with Horsham locals for recreation, especially camping, fishing and water skiing. When other lakes are dry, Taylors Lake will often still have water to enjoy.
- is allowed in the north-west designated camp area. No camping within 20 metres of the water's edge (lake side of track).
- long-term camping (8+ weeks) needs to be approved by the Patrol Officer
- permitted in line with Country Fire Authority https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can
- fire must be completely extinguished with water, not soil, before the last person leaves
- bring your own firewood
- fallen timber and trees are protected
- must be within 10 metres of your own tent and closer to your tent than anyone else’s
- don't put them in long grass as they can start fires!
- in fire danger periods refer to Country Fire Authority chainsaw and mower conditions https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can
- designated boat ramps must be used
- duck shooting permitted during duck season only.
- there is a no shooting zone on the dam wall operational area.
- camping at Fisher's permitted one week prior to and during duck season.
- must be under control at all times and tethered at night
- must keep to the obvious tracks
- not permitted on the beach or sand dunes
- speed limit 10 km/h within Taylors Lake reserve area
- no unregistered motor vehicles including trail bikes
The boating authority for Taylors Lake is GWMWater.
We've developed plans to improve the recreational use of Taylors Lake.
See what's planned.
Taylors Lake Recreational Facilities Management Plan (1.4MB, 32 pages)
Taylors Lake - Future Use Plan (3.7MB)
- Feels like 5.5°C
- Relative Humidity 99 %
- Rainfall 0.6mm
- Wind SE at 9 km/h