Taylors Lake is an off-stream reservoir and a reliable water source for the region. Sitting 20 km south-east of Horsham, it's supplied from upstream storage within the Wimmera-Glenelg headworks. The nearby Potters Creek also serves as a small natural catchment.
The lake has an important role in supplying environmental water to the Wimmera River. It's also very popular with Horsham locals for recreation, especially camping, fishing and water skiing. When other lakes are dry, Taylors Lake will often still have water to enjoy.
Under the Stage 3 Stay at Home restrictions apply across regional Victoria, all GWMWater campgrounds will be closed from 11.59pm, Wednesday 5 August 2020.
Boat ramps remain open and day visitors from regional Victoria are still permitted. Please ensure your use of these areas complies with the latest State Government coronavirus (COVID-19) public health measures. Physical distancing and outdoor gathering requirements apply at all times – including at the boat ramp and on your boat.
Stage 4 restrictions apply to residents of metropolitan Melbourne. Under Stage 4 restrictions, You must not travel more than five kilometres from where you live.
The campsite closures include:
- Lake Lonsdale
- Moora Moora Reservoir
- Taylors Lake
Please note that all camp grounds at or adjacent to GWMWater Reservoirs are also closed.
For more information about coronavirus and social distancing, visit: dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
- must keep to the obvious tracks
- not permitted on the beach or sand dunes
- speed limit 10 km/h within Taylors Lake reserve area
- no unregistered motor vehicles including trail bikes
- is allowed in the north-west designated camp area. No camping within 20 metres of the water's edge (lake side of track).
- long-term camping (8+ weeks) needs to be approved by the Patrol Officer
- camp away from other visitors at established camp grounds if camping with dogs
- permitted in line with Country Fire Authority https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can
- fire must be completely extinguished with water, not soil, before the last person leaves
- bring your own firewood
- fallen timber and trees are protected
- must be within 10 metres of your own tent and closer to your tent than anyone else’s
- don't put them in long grass as they can start fires!
- in fire danger periods refer to Country Fire Authority chainsaw and mower conditions https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can
- designated boat ramps must be used
- duck shooting permitted during duck season only
- there is a no shooting zone on the dam wall operational area
- camping at Fisher's permitted one week prior to and during duck season
- must be under control at all times and tied up at night
- to be kept on a leash in picnic and camping areas or when near other visitors
- bring own bag to remove any faeces deposited by your dog
- must not enter the water, excluding duck season for the retrieval of ducks
- are not permitted in the reserve
- are not permitted inside the recreation area
The boating authority for Taylors Lake is GWMWater.
We've developed plans to improve the recreational use of Taylors Lake.
See what's planned.
Taylors Lake Recreational Facilities Management Plan (1.4MB, 32 pages)
Taylors Lake - Future Use Plan (3.7MB)
- Feels like 8.4°C
- Relative Humidity 84 %
- Rainfall 5.2mm
- Wind N at 7 km/h