Lake Lonsdale is a large, shallow reservoir on the Mt William Creek. It fills from its own catchment and is reliant on natural inflows. Although the catchment can be a substantial producer of water during wet years because of its very large area, it isn't reliable during times of drought. Given its relatively shallow depth, the lake also has high evaporation losses over summer months.
Since the introduction of the Wimmera Mallee Pipeline, the lake is no longer used by GWMWater for domestic or stock water supply, however it's still a key source of water for the environment. Lake Lonsdale also has an important role in the community as a recreational lake in the Stawell area, hosting a number of activities on its northern side, such as boating, fishing, swimming, camping and water skiing.
- in designated areas only (not in sandbar area)
- long-term camping (8+ weeks) needs to be approved by our Patrol Officer
- camping under trees is not advised as branches and limbs may fall
- camp away from other visitors at established camp grounds if camping with dogs
- check Country Fire Authority's website or Vic Emergency App for up-to-date information
- permitted in properly constructed fireplaces in line with Country Fire Authority's warnings and restrictions https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can
- fire pits available
fire must be completely extinguished with water, not soil, before the last person leaves
- fallen timber may be collected as firewood for use within the reserve only
- trees are not to be cut down
- must be within 10 metres of the owners tent and closer to the owner's tent than anyone else’s
- don't put them in long grass as they can start fires!
- refer to Country Fire Authorities 'chainsaws, lawn mowers and other equipment' conditions during fire season https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can
- must keep to the obvious tracks
- not permitted on the beach or sand dunes
- speed limit 10 km/h within Lake Lonsdale reserve area
- no unregistered motor vehicles including trail bikes
- designated boat ramps must be used
- duck shooting permitted during duck season depending on seasonal restrictions
- must be under control at all times and tethered at night
- to be kept on a leash in picnic and camping areas or when near other visitors
- bring own bag to remove any faeces deposited by your dog
- must not enter the water, excluding duck season for the retrieval of ducks
We've developed a plan to improve the recreational use of Lake Lonsdale.
See what's planned. Lake Lonsdale Management Plan (621kB, 34 pages)
- Feels like 8.4°C
- Relative Humidity 81 %
- Rainfall 1.0mm
- Wind SE at 33 km/h
20° WindyMIN 13°