Skip to main content Skip to home page

If you're planning to construct or alter a groundwater bore, you need to apply for a licence before you can start works.

This is so that we can record all bore activity in the region, ensuring responsible construction practices and use of underground water resources, as well as protecting community safety.


How to apply

There are two ways you can apply for a bore licence:

1. Apply online with the Victorian Water Register (external web link).

  • Only for domestic, stock, investigation, observation or monitoring bore construction licences.
  • The application process will take approximately 15 minutes.
  • Payments are made online using your credit or debit card.


2. Apply directly to us by filling out an Adobe PDF file icon 24x24Application for a Licence to Construct, Decommission or Alter a Bore (81kB).

  • Complete the form making sure all relevant information is provided.
  • Either mail or email the form, payment and copies of supporting documents to GWMWater.


Licensed groundwater drillers

If your application is approved, you'll need a licensed driller to do the actual works.

It's very important to use a licensed driller. An unlicensed driller is a risk to not only themselves, but the people around them. By using a licensed driller you are protecting underground water resources and community safety.

Adobe PDF file icon 24x24Groundwater Licenced Drillers 


Contact Us

If you're having any issues with this process, feel free to contact us.



Back to top