Skip to main content Skip to home page

Many properties in urban areas will have the option to join our sewer network. The primary requirement for a property is that it's fronted by one of our mains. If your property isn't currently fronted by a main, you may be eligible to apply to extend our network.

Homes in unsewered areas use a septic tank system that treats the wastewater on site. Your local council regulates the use of septic tanks in unsewered areas.


What to do

Step 1:  Check if wastewater and sewerage services are available in your area

Use our Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Service Area Map (2.5MB) or the table below to check if our sewerage services are available in your town.

Ararat Goroke  Kaniva  Ouyen  Stawell
Birchip Great Western*  Lake Bolac*  Rainbow  Warracknabeal
Charlton  Halls Gap  Minyip  Rupanyup*  Willaura
Dimboola  Hopetoun  Murtoa  Sea Lake  Wycheproof
Donald  Horsham  Natimuk  Serviceton  
Edenhope  Jeparit  Nhill  St Arnaud  

* Pressure Sewer Scheme


Step 2:  Find out if your property is fronted by a main

To find out if your property is fronted by a main, use our interactive map of GWMWater assets or get in touch with us.

If your property isn't fronted by a water pipeline, you may be eligible to apply to extend our network.


Step 3: Find a licensed plumber

Only a licensed plumber can connect you to a main. This is to ensure the safety of our system and the community.  You'll need to find a plumber before applying for permission to connect, as you're required to supply their details on the application form.

Your plumber will help design the connection is accordance with our standards.


Sewer service connection standards:

  • For non-residential connections, Contact GWMWater for assessment of trade waste.
  • Each lot must have its own connection; combined sanitary drains and extended sanitary works are not accepted unless owned by the Owners Corporation and installed within Common Property.
  • Gravity connections must be as per AS/NZS3500 with the minimum acceptable size being 100 mm.
  • Connections must be perpendicular to the main and extend less than 10m or, if crossing a road, less than 25 m. Longer connections require a sewer main extension.
  • Connections must not traverse private land except within the sewer easement to the connecting main; you must obtain works consent from both the private property owner and GWMWater.
  • GWMWater will only accept pressure sewer connections within existing pressure sewer schemes or where gravity connections are infeasible.


Step 4:  Apply to connect

If you're ready to connect to our sewerage services you'll need permission from us before you begin any works. 

Download an Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Application for Consent to Connect to the Wastewater System


Extending our network

If your property isn't fronted by one of our mains, you may be eligible to apply to extend our network. See Extending our network for more information.



If you would like to disconnect from our services, please call us on 1300 659 961.


Further information...


Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Urban Customer Charter Summary

We're committed to serving our customers and have developed a charter to reflect our ongoing commitment to you and the community.


Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Current urban customer wastewater charges

Our pricing structure is based on your wastewater and sewerage service availability.


Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Customer Guaranteed Service Levels

GWMWater provides Guaranteed Service Levels for urban customers. You maybe eligible to receive a rebate on your bill if our services don't meet the required performance standards.


Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Fact sheet - Connections to gravity sewer mains

Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Pressure Sewer System - Home Owner's Guide - Rupanyup

Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Pressure Sewer System - Home Owners Guide - Great Western and Lake Bolac

Adobe PDF file icon 24x24 Pressure Sewer System - Home Owners Guide where septic tanks are in use



Back to top