You have a legal right to access certain documents that GWMWater holds that contain personal information, under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 1982.
Under the Act, some documents are exempt from release, such as documents:
- containing trade secrets
- affecting legal proceedings
- affecting personal privacy
- that were submitted to Cabinet.
How to make a request
- Submit your request by mail or in person, with fee, to:
Freedom of Information Officer
PO Box 481
Horsham VIC 3402
- Once we get your request and payment, we'll review the information and get back to you in writing if we need more detail.
- We'll then do a thorough search to identity the information you've asked for, and respond in writing within 45 days with a decision to either:
- release all the documents
- release part of the documents
- release none of the documents.
If you're unhappy with the decision or the way we handle your request, you can Make a complaint.
There's an application fee of $27.20 ($28.40 from 1 July 2017) payable when you make your request. Requests can't be processed without this payment.
You can pay by cheque or money order, made to GWMWater.
Once your request is approved, we'll let you know whether you need to pay additional fees to process your request, such as:
- photocopying: 20 cents per page
- search fees: $20.40* per hour
- written transcripts of a recorded document: $20.40* per hour, calculated by per quarter hour
- supervising document inspection: $20.40* per hour, calculated by per quarter hour.
*These fees will increase from $20.40 to $21.30 per hour from 1 July 2017.
If additional charges are going to be more than $100, we ask that you pay a deposit of $25.
We provide an equitable service to everyone, regardless of their ability to pay for the service. If the fees may cause you hardship, provide a statement explaining why with your application.